Skip to main content

Introduction & Social Justice

 Hey! My name is Allyson Merchan. I'm a incoming Freshman to NJCU as most of you are. Here's a couple of things to know about me; my ethnicity is Colombian (mother's side) and Ecuadorian (father's side). I was born and raised in Jersey City for 15 years until I moved to Roselle Park. I am very quiet at first which is what most people say about me; however, after getting to know me, I am very outspoken and giggly. I am very family and friend oriented meaning that my motivations come from them. I love food and binge watching Netflix literally everyday, it's kind of a bad habit but I can't control it. Anyways, at the moment that's almost all of what I can think of right about now :)

    Social Justice has been a topic I have always been interested in. I remember my first class in High School as a Junior being a Social Justice class and then the year after taking a Leadership class. These two classes helped me learn and gain knowledge of the world we live in, and from what I know about America's history is that we need more change. The meaning of Social Justice to me is not about being fair, but about how everyone, regardless of class, race, or sex have equitable access to social power. I grew up in Jersey City, I would say it is a very diverse place where you meet everyone that is different from you, but you respect them. I personally have always seen color when it comes to a person; however, allow me to explain myself. When I use the term "I see color," I mean that I acknowledge the person for who they are, their struggles, their success, their identity. In a country like America, I would expect there to be better treatment of people no matter who they are and I have to admit that sometimes I am ashamed to be American because of how bad things have gotten in just a couple of months from families being separated to having death tolls raise of the innocent. This is not the America we should be praising in my opinion and I need a change to happen.  

Comments